Who doesn’t love chicken noodle soup? It is perfect on those chilly days especially when you are feeling a cold coming on. After being around sick coughing children all day, I am always feeling a little less than 100%. So when I asked my husband what I should make us for lunch this week, he said chicken noodle soup. Of course, I could do this, and I could even use my Instant Pot again!
Don’t get me wrong, I liked the idea, but I felt like it needed more. It needed more vegetables. We were missing a huge opportunity to get more veggies in! I scoured the internet for a recipe that included the extra veggies, but I couldn’t find one for my instant pot. So I used this recipe from The Foodie and the Fix to get me started and then subbed in
I followed her directions, but when I added the pasta at the end, I also added green beans, zucchini, and tomatoes. I decided to add these ad the end because I didn’t want them to get too soggy and totally fall apart. I noticed that I am not getting as much vegetables everyday as I should be. I am not one to snack on veggies except for carrots, so I have been trying to incorporate them more into my lunches. This was an easy addition to give us more veggies while still enjoying our soup! You could totally add any veggie you wanted in this soup! I meant to add spinach, but I forgot!
I love using my Instant Pot for recipes like this because I can saute right in the pot! Once I was done sauteing the carrots, green onion, celery, and garlic, I added the chicken and broth. I set my Instant Pot to soup for 15 minutes and let it go! It is awesome being able to meal prep soup, or really anything, in such a short amount of time. I am not the best planner, and generally run out of time. This has saved me!
So, if you are looking for an easy, quick, and healthy chicken noodle soup, I hope this helps! It is an easy dinner and a hearty lunch as the weather gets colder!
Here’s to being happy & fit,
Veggie Loaded Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Recipe
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 celery rods, diced
- 1 bunch of green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, cut in half circles
- 2 cups green beans, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, can be fresh or canned
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2-3 cups of whole wheat egg noodles (you could use any noodle you prefer!)
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium is best
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp herbs d’provence
- Turn on Instant Pot to saute function. Saute onions, celery, and carrots seasoned with salt and pepper. After a few minutes add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and chicken, and some salt and pepper, to the Instant Pot. Turn to Soup and set for 15 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done, turn off and do a quick release. Make sure you are out of the way so you do not get hurt by the steam.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Add pasta, tomatoes, green beans, spinach, and zucchini to the instant pot. Mix in with the soup. Turn on the Instant Pot to Soup again, and set your Instant Pot to zero minutes. This will build the pressure in the pot, but not over cook your noodles or vegetables.
- Shred the chicken while you wait for the Instant Pot to beep.
- When the Instant Pot is done, again turn off and do a quick release.
- Then add your chicken and herbs. Stir around and smell that delicious soup!
*If you are using a slow cooker, add all ingredients and set to low and cook for 6-8 hours. Chicken will shred easily when done.
*If you are cooking in a stock pot, add all ingredients and cook for about 20-30 minutes covered after bringing to a boil then set to simmer.
21 Day Fix Containers: 1.5 green, 1.5 red, 1 yellow for 2 cups